Spring is in the air and that means Easter is around the corner. The markets are filling with colorful holiday candy, Nestle’s is offering Limited Edition pink and yellow morsels, and my local garden center is selling live chicks!
We decided to start preparing for Easter by creating little bunny donuts. We quickly realized that the key to a perfect bunny is the ear to body ratio. Before you rush for your calculator ( or another website), we’ll explain. If the ears are too small your bunny will look like a white mouse.
BUNNY DONUT RECIPE
8 small donuts ( Entenmann’s powdered sugar popettes work well)
8 marshmallows ( standard size)
1 cup of pink sprinkles
8 pink chips (or M&Ms)
16 brown M&Ms
8 inches of black string licorice
1 container of white frosting
– Pour pink sprinkles into a small dish.
– Dip one side of each marshmallow half in sprinkles to cover, allowing a small white
border to show.
– Leave “ears” on plate for later use.
– Cut licorice into 8 one-inch pieces
– Using a knife or scissors, cut into the ends of the licorice to simulate whiskers.
– Cut each licorice piece in half. (Depending on the size of the donuts, you may want to
make the whiskers shorter. It’s a matter of personal taste).
– Before frosting the donuts, set a wire rack on top of a piece of wax paper for easier
– Place 1/2 of the frosting into a microwave safe bowl. (Repeat this step to ice remainder
– Microwave the bowl for 20 seconds or until the frosting flows.
– Individually dip each donut into the frosting to cover the front and all sides.
– Remove donut and set on wire rack to dry.
– Place 2 ears on on each donut. (To keep the ears attached while drying, place extra
marshmallows under each “ear” for support)
– Add 2 brown M&Ms for eyes
– Add a pink chip or pink M&M for nose
– Add whiskers on either side of nose
– Repeat until all the donuts have morphed into bunnies.
These bunnies are ready to hop into your heart ( or mouth)!