Congratulations to all 2014 graduates and their friends and families. It’s graduation season and another excuse for a party. Keeping with the graduation theme, we came up with graduation cap donuts! These donuts are easy to prepare and make a great presentation. Display them on a platter with mini diplomas or on a glass platter on top of old yearbooks. You’re guaranteed to go to the top of the class with this dessert.
Graduation Cap Donuts
Note: it’s important to select donuts in proportion to the chocolate squares. We
made small and large donuts and purchased two different brands of mini donuts
before we settled on Little Debbie donuts and Hershey’s chocolate squares.
Makes 12 servings
- 12 -1 3/4″ inch round donuts (Little Debbie mini frosted chocolate donuts worked best)
- 2 Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bars(7 ounces each) or 12 -1 3/4″ chocolate Squares like Ghiardelli squares
- 1 jar of Marshmallow Fluff
- 12 yellow M&M ‘s or Reese’s Pieces
- 3 yellow Starbursts
- Prepare the chocolate mortar boards by carefully cutting the chocolate bar into 6 squares. Use a grater to smooth the sides of the chocolate squares or unwrap 12 Ghiardelli chocolate squares.
- To make the tassel:
- Microwave a yellow Starburst for 8 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and roll into 4 pieces.
- Cut each of the 4 pieces in half and roll one half into a thin log.
- Roll the other half into an even thinner log and break into 6 pieces.
- Pinch the 6 small pieces together at one end to form the tassel. Attach the tassel to the longer Starburst log by gently pressing the pieces together.
- Gently press the yellow tassel onto the top of the chocolate square. Place a yellow M&M in middle of the cap over the end of the tassel.
- Take a small amount (1/2 teaspoon) of Marshmallow Fluff and put it in middle of donut. (Too much fluff and it will show out from under the mortarboard)
- Place chocolate square on top of donut.
Congratulations! You’ve just earned your B.S.(Baking School) degree in Graduation Cap Donuts from the Grin And Eat University.