Halloween isn’t all about tricks and sweets. It’s also about pumpkins. Who can resist these adorable little clementine jack o’lanterns? Even better, they are a treat to make.
- 15 clementines
- 1 Sharpie marker
- Draw fun jack o’lantern faces on your clementines and put them in a bowl
That’s it! No tricks involved for these adorable little treats!
It turns out that today is National Watermelon Day. While yes, watermelon is delicious on it’s own, it’s even better when it’s sitting on top of a cupcake. And actually, it’s even better when your watermelon is made out of pound cake, icing, candy and chocolate!
- 12 mini cupcakes
- A tub of vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- A chocolate bar
- 12 green apple Laffy Taffys
- 1 pound cake
- Ice all 12 cupcakes with vanilla frosting
- Cut the pound cake into 12 small triangles with a curved top (matching the shape shown in the picture above)
- Add a drop of red food coloring to 1/2 cup of frosting (keep adding drops until you get desired shade of pink) and mix
- Cover the sides and top of the pound cake triangle with pink frosting
- Put 2 pieces of Laffy Taffy in the microwave for 5 seconds (time with vary by microwave)
- Form the Laffy Taffy to fit on the curved top of the triangle
- Using a knife, cut small rectangular pieces of the chocolate bar off
- Add a few of the chocolate shavings all over the pink frosted body of the watermelon
- Place the watermelon on top of the cupcake and serve
Don’t be afraid to go for seconds, it is National Watermelon Day after all!
Peach season is going full blast. With a kitchen full of peaches, it was time to make some donuts! Of course, we couldn’t leave them unadorned so a crumb topping was a must.
The recipe follows:
PEACHY KEEN DONUTS
Makes 12 donuts
Ingredients for Donuts
- Spray on oil
- 2 cups diced peaches
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 ½ cups unsifted flour for donuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of toffee bits (optional)
Ingredients for Crumb Topping
- ½ cup unsifted flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of softened butter
Spray the donut pan with oil. Wipe off the excess spray from the top of the pan.
Combine peaches and sugar in bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
Blend oil, egg, and water into peach mixture.
Add the 1 ½ cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and optional toffee bits. Stir everything together.
Fill each donut mold 7/8 full with the batter.
Make the topping by combining the butter, brown sugar and ½ cup of flour
Crumble the topping over the donuts (½ of mix for 6 donuts).
Bake in the oven for 16 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool about 30 minutes. Remove donuts from pan.
Store in the refrigerator for best flavor. This dessert is just peachy. Enjoy!