Nope, not talking about a streaking party here. Instead, we’re just going to stick to cupcakes this time around. Now that BBQ season is heating up, these hotdog cupcakes are the perfect dessert for your next event.
- 12 mini cupcakes
- 1 pound cake
- 12 red Starbursts
- 1 yellow icing tube
- 1 tub of chocolate frosting
- 1 small container of rainbow sprinkles
- To create the buns, cut the pound cake into 1 inch slices
- Next cut those slices in half from top to bottom and then in half again across the middle to have four equal pieces
- Then cut a small triangle out of top part of the pound cake to make room for the hotdog (you can just cut a thin slice to put them in, but it works better if you remove some of the pound cake to make room)
- To make the hotdog, put the Starbursts in the microwave for 7 seconds each and then roll them into a ball and then into a long hotdog
- Place the Starburst hotdogs into all the hotdog buns
- Use the yellow icing tube to draw a thin squiggly line for mustard on all the hotdogs
- Ice the cupcakes with the chocolate frosting
- Add the rainbow sprinkles on top of the chocolate frosting
- Then put the buns with the hotdogs on top of the frosted cupcakes
We’ll be frank, your guests will love these!
Ever four years the world comes together to watch the best athletes across the globe compete during the Summer Olympics. Since these athletes spent hours grinding away to prepare for Rio, the least we can do is spend a few minutes creating some Olympics-themed desserts to enjoy while we sit on the couch and watch them.
- 12 mini cupcakes
- Tub of chocolate frosting
- 12 yellow Starbursts
- Gold color mist (I used Wilton’s shimmering food color spray)
- Black decorating gel
- Package of Twizzlers Pull ‘n’ Peel
- Frost the cupcakes with chocolate frosting
- Place the Starbursts in the microwave (3 at a time) for 10 seconds (exact time will vary by microwave)
- Once removed from the microwave, roll the Starbursts into individual balls and then flatten them into the shape of a medal
- Spray the top of all the medal Starbursts with the gold color mist
- Let the mist dry
- Write “USA” with the black decorating gel on top of the gold misted medals
- Cut the Pull ‘n’ Peel into 1.5 inch sections
- Pair up the individual strands of the Pull ‘n’ Peels and use two pairs to form a “V” on each cupcake
- Place the gold medal on the bottom of the “V”
- Note: On my first attempt to write “USA” the black decorating gel came out looking like a bunch of blobs. If your tube is coming out too thick, you can make a pool of black decorating gel and then dip the end of a toothpick in it and use that to write “USA” on the medals.
Now let your arm do some heavy lifting as you pop these cupcakes into your mouth. Go for the gold!
It turns out that today is National Watermelon Day. While yes, watermelon is delicious on it’s own, it’s even better when it’s sitting on top of a cupcake. And actually, it’s even better when your watermelon is made out of pound cake, icing, candy and chocolate!
- 12 mini cupcakes
- A tub of vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- A chocolate bar
- 12 green apple Laffy Taffys
- 1 pound cake
- Ice all 12 cupcakes with vanilla frosting
- Cut the pound cake into 12 small triangles with a curved top (matching the shape shown in the picture above)
- Add a drop of red food coloring to 1/2 cup of frosting (keep adding drops until you get desired shade of pink) and mix
- Cover the sides and top of the pound cake triangle with pink frosting
- Put 2 pieces of Laffy Taffy in the microwave for 5 seconds (time with vary by microwave)
- Form the Laffy Taffy to fit on the curved top of the triangle
- Using a knife, cut small rectangular pieces of the chocolate bar off
- Add a few of the chocolate shavings all over the pink frosted body of the watermelon
- Place the watermelon on top of the cupcake and serve
Don’t be afraid to go for seconds, it is National Watermelon Day after all!
The sun is out and beach season is in full swing. Maybe you’re spending your weekends perfecting your tan while waves are crashing at your feet. Maybe you just dream of being there every time you look at the beautiful beach sunset picture on your desktop. Either way, these little beachy cupcakes are sure to leave a smile on your face.
- 12 mini cupcakes
- 1 Fruit by the Foot
- 1 tub of vanilla frosting
- Blue food coloring
- Green food coloring
- 24 Teddy Grahams
- 4 graham crackers
- Add a drop of blue food coloring to 3/4 of a cup of vanilla frosting and mix
- Add a drop of green food coloring to 1/4 of a cup of vanilla frosting and mix
- Ice all 12 cupcakes with blue frosting
- Crush the graham crackers into crumbs as shown above
- Cover half the blue iced cupcake with the graham cracker crumbs
- Use the green frosting to paint bathing suits on the Teddy Grahams
- Cut the Fruit by the Foot into tiny rectangles to serve as the beach towels
- Using a small drop of icing, stick the Fruit by the Foot beach towels on the sand
- Using a small drop of icing, stick the Teddy Grahams on the beach towels
- Place the remaining Teddy Grahams’ legs into the blue water
- Mix up all the cupcakes so that they have different numbers of bears swimming, tanning, etc.
- Serve and watch the smiles come rolling in
Not only are these cupcakes beary cute, they’re also beary tasty too!
Peach season is going full blast. With a kitchen full of peaches, it was time to make some donuts! Of course, we couldn’t leave them unadorned so a crumb topping was a must.
The recipe follows:
PEACHY KEEN DONUTS
Makes 12 donuts
Ingredients for Donuts
- Spray on oil
- 2 cups diced peaches
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 ½ cups unsifted flour for donuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup of toffee bits (optional)
Ingredients for Crumb Topping
- ½ cup unsifted flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons of softened butter
Spray the donut pan with oil. Wipe off the excess spray from the top of the pan.
Combine peaches and sugar in bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
Blend oil, egg, and water into peach mixture.
Add the 1 ½ cups flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and optional toffee bits. Stir everything together.
Fill each donut mold 7/8 full with the batter.
Make the topping by combining the butter, brown sugar and ½ cup of flour
Crumble the topping over the donuts (½ of mix for 6 donuts).
Bake in the oven for 16 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool about 30 minutes. Remove donuts from pan.
Store in the refrigerator for best flavor. This dessert is just peachy. Enjoy!
These adorable cupcakes can put a smile on anyone’s face. They were served at a child’s birthday party but would work just as well for a picnic at a farm or a rustic barnyard wedding . Children of all ages were horsing around and tweeting for more!
Spring is in the air and that means Easter is around the corner. The markets are filling with colorful holiday candy, Nestle’s is offering Limited Edition pink and yellow morsels, and my local garden center is selling live chicks!
We decided to start preparing for Easter by creating little bunny donuts. We quickly realized that the key to a perfect bunny is the ear to body ratio. Before you rush for your calculator ( or another website), we’ll explain. If the ears are too small your bunny will look like a white mouse.
BUNNY DONUT RECIPE
8 small donuts ( Entenmann’s powdered sugar popettes work well)
8 marshmallows ( standard size)
1 cup of pink sprinkles
8 pink chips (or M&Ms)
16 brown M&Ms
8 inches of black string licorice
1 container of white frosting
– Make bunny ears by cutting each marshmallow on the diagonal. Slice off the pointed end of
each marshmallow and discard (or eat).
– Pour pink sprinkles into a small dish.
– Dip one side of each marshmallow half in sprinkles to cover, allowing a small white
border to show.
– Leave “ears” on plate for later use.
– Cut licorice into 8 one-inch pieces
– Using a knife or scissors, cut into the ends of the licorice to simulate whiskers.
– Cut each licorice piece in half. (Depending on the size of the donuts, you may want to
make the whiskers shorter. It’s a matter of personal taste).
– Before frosting the donuts, set a wire rack on top of a piece of wax paper for easier
– Place 1/2 of the frosting into a microwave safe bowl. (Repeat this step to ice remainder
– Microwave the bowl for 20 seconds or until the frosting flows.
– Individually dip each donut into the frosting to cover the front and all sides.
– Remove donut and set on wire rack to dry.
– Place 2 ears on on each donut. (To keep the ears attached while drying, place extra
marshmallows under each “ear” for support)
– Add 2 brown M&Ms for eyes
– Add a pink chip or pink M&M for nose
– Add whiskers on either side of nose
– Repeat until all the donuts have morphed into bunnies.
These bunnies are ready to hop into your heart ( or mouth)!
This weekend we visited friends that have an amazing fish tank in their basement. I left wanting to either buy a pet fish or make a fish themed dessert. As you can guess from the picture above, option number two won!
- 8 regular size donuts
- 1 container of vanilla frosting
- yellow food coloring
- 1 bag of M&M’s
- 4 red or pink fruit chews
- 8 fruit chews in varied colors (for the tail)
- 4 mini marshmallows
- 8 chocolate chips
- Place the frosting in a microwave safe bowl and mix in yellow food coloring until you get desired color
- Place bowl in the microwave for 20 seconds (times may vary depending on microwave)
- Individually dip each donut in the melted yellow frosting and place on a wire rack or plate to dry
- Decorate the donut with M&Ms and the eyes before it has completely dried
- To make the eyes, cut a mini marshmallow in half
- Then stick a chocolate chip into the sticky side of the marshmallow with the pointy side facing the marshmallow
- To create the lips, place a red or pink fruit chew in the microwave for 7 seconds
- Remove and break into two pieces
- Roll each piece into a thin log (pictured above) and fold into a “v” shape for the lips
- Place the lips on top of the donut
- For the tail, place another fruit chew in the microwave for 7 seconds
- Roll into a ball and flatten into the shape above
- Place the pointy side into the donut for the tail
- If the fruit chew is too heavy or flimsy, you can place a mini marshmallow under the tail to keep it in place for your presentation
These adorable fish are guaranteed to cook up some smiles with your company!